8 Ways to Prepare for your Family Photo Session - San Jose Family Photographer
Planning a session might feel a little overwhelming, but here are 8 simple things that you can do to ensure you have a great session!
1) Choose a great location. We're so lucky we live in Northern California and there are no shortages of beautiful places to shoot! Determine what you want your session to look like on the walls of your home. Do you want crashing waves behind you, or sprawling golden grass and openness? Check out my post on different locations that I love using throughout the Bay Area!
2) Prepare your wardrobe. Do not underestimate this one! Your wardrobe is a huge part of your session. Try to visualize what would look great hanging on your walls in your home. For most people, this would be a neutral wardrobe pallet that will be timeless and classic. I offer complete wardrobe assistance upon booking. I'll create a mock up board for you that will look similar to the one below. Don't forget shoes & socks, especially for dad! They'll show, so make sure that shoes go with the rest of the outfit. If you're currently browsing for inspiration, check out my Pinterest boards (women, men, family) which has tons of fresh ideas!
3) Be sure to leave plenty of time. I'm a mom to two littles, so I get how last minute things always seem to pop up. Plan on getting to the location about 5 minutes early so that we don't lose the good light.
4) Leave the cheese! I know it's a habit to have our kids says "cheeeeese!" when we're trying to get them to smile, but let me work some magic to get their real and authentic smiles!
5) Be prepared to NOT look at the camera! I know, it sounds kind of funny, right? But pictures of you being engaged and connected with your family make amazing portraits. Think: "everyone tickle baby brother!!", etc... Of course we'll get a couple of the smiling straight at the camera, but we also want to capture you being YOU!
6) Bring an activity that your family loves doing together. Do you love reading? Bring a stack of your favorite books to read together! Are you over the moon for ice cream? Bring some ice cream bars to dive into (in an ice chest so we can save them for the last shots!) or do you enjoy picnicking in this beautiful Bay Area weather? Pack up some of your favorite snacks in a pretty basket. Really think about the things that you'll want to look back and soak up in the future! If you're not sure, I'm here to help guide you!